Philippians 2:14-16 “14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings (arguing): 15 That ye may be blameless(faultless) and harmless (innocent), the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; 16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.”
WHERE ARE WE TO SHINE?
1. In the world in which we live. In the world system that we are forbidden to love
1 John 2:15-16 “15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.” As Christians we are in the world, but we are not to be of the world.
2. ”In a crooked and wicked generation” where sin abounds everywhere. (Homosexuality, gay, lesbian, transgender, fake prophets, ) 2 Timothy 3:1-5 (NIV)
3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power.”
2. WHY DO WE NEED TO SHINE?
1. That God the Father may be glorified. Matthew 5:16 “16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”
There is only one life that will glorify Him, and that is the Christ-filled, Spirit-controlled life that shines before men and commends Him to them.
2. That the Lord Jesus may be magnified. To magnify a thing is to make it appear bigger, and Christians by their shining witness are to make the Lord Jesus appear ““big”” before the world. Philippians 1:20 “20 According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.”
3. That sinners may be saved. We are to shine before men with the red light of warning Ezekiel 33:8-9 “8 When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. 9 Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.”
James 4: 17 “If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.”
In 2019, I pray we will all shine like stars in the sky to the glory of God!